Saturday, July 21, 2007

Hear the Sound of a Generation

I love how God heightens your sensitivity to His presence on mission trips. His Word offers fresh revelation, your heart is stirred deeper during worship, lyrics to praise songs you've sung for a million times suddenly leap out with new meaning.

Last night, during the first night of the Festival of Hope, Dougie and the band jammed out to "Salvation is Here" with thousands of young adults and kids from Cambodia jumping in the air. As we sung the lyrics "Here the sound of a generation, making loud their freedom song," I suddenly realized this was the freedom cry of the new generation of Cambodians whose parents/grandparents/relatives have been scarred by the horrible genocide. This new wave of young Cambodians were shouting out their freedom from fear, shame, and death -- and declaring all honor to Jesus! So cool!!

This morning, I had an opportunity to speak during day 2 of our leadership training for church leaders in Cambodia. Such an honor to share the training with Sherri May from Healing Place Church and Pastor Mundo Menses at Life Church. Ms. Sherri spoke about the importance of training and investing in our youth and Pastor Mundo did an incredible bring-down-the-house message exhorting the leaders to fulfill the Great Commission. I spoke about the importance of leadership and relationships. Specifically, I talked about how to build new relationships, sustain relationships, and how that translates into church partnerships. Really interesting to be speaking on such an oft-talked about subject in a foreign country with young church leaders. Most of them seemed to be engaged -- which is the biggest win when you're speaking with a translator! -- but hopefully they all learned something new too.

I heard yesterday that the churches in Battambang have pretty good relationships for the most part, but there is always the undercurrent of division when it comes to money, power, and politics. My prayer is that God will unite them and help them proatively share resources and leverage their differences! We've already seen much of this church synergy with the massive church volunteer teams that have come to help with the Festival of Hope - I can't wait to see the long-term fruit that will come from this festival weekend!

Miss everyone -- praying for all the incredible new services this weekend back in Jax!!!

Jenny Huang

5 comments:

Robin said...

Jenny,
I am so glad you are all having such an incredible time in God and helping those people...What an amazing experience and we can't wait to hear more...Love this "blog" form of communciation while you are gone...super idea! God Bless you all...

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted. I know you did an incredible job speaking and your words will resonate with those people! Sounds like you are doing awesome things for God and sowing a lot of seeds. Miss you here in JAX and praying for you guys! Have fun! Love you!

Meghan

Kerri Weems said...

Go, Jenny! I am so proud of our to team. You are all doing such a good job. Can't wait to hear all about it first hand when you return.
Love,
PK

Anonymous said...

Girl, I’ve been praying for you! I heard from Mike you were preaching this morning! How awesome is our God! That’s is soo cool you got to go to the Rapha House, I can’t wait to hear more about your experiences and how God is showing you how He brings restoration. I love you so much and Dennis & I are praying for you and the entire team! All my love, Debs

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey! Are you having an amazing time or what?! I know you are a blessing to all you meet as well as those traveling with you! Miss you and can't wait for your return!
Carrie :)