Sunday, July 22, 2007

Lord I'm Amazed By You

Let me begin by saying that God is awesome and as is evident by the other posts, He has moved in a GIANT way over the past 3 days. Just to give a short background on who I am...my name is Trevor Olesiak and I have been attending Celebration for almost 2 years. I am a college student at UNF about to enter my junior year. God called me to go on this trip and I, fortunately, heeded the call. This has been one of the most powerful experiences of my life.

The first night of the festival, I sat with the group and watched that Khmer team worship and got to experience the entire event from the crowd's perspective. Through some fast and unexpected circumstances, I was asked to play bass guitar for the second night of worship. I have played and led worship all my life, but I am not currently involved with the worship team at Celebration. It is hard to emphasize the fear that was flooding my entire being. I was about to play anywhere from 5 to 10 songs I didn't know for over 3000 Cambodians! But God is awesome and, especially in worship, when you completely focus on Him and set your eyes on the cross, He moves in big ways. The second the first note was played, God's amazing and overwhelming peace flooded over me and He allowed me to make a joyful noise unto Him! Praise God!

I'll tell you upfront, there is no possible way for me to put to words my expereinces on stage the past 2 nights. We just finished the last night of the festival, and I am in utter awe of what God has done. My perspective from the stage was something that most people didn't get to experience, so I will attempt to describe it the best I can. The first two nights, the building we played in had many chairs set up for people to sit. Tonight, they had to put all of the chairs away in order to fit more people in the building. They also broadcasted the feed outside in the courtyard, where the people were also packed in. Estimates I heard from people where anywhere from 4000 to 6000 in attendance. Looking out into the sea of smiling faces and to witness the excitement of the people was amazing. One of the songs we played really stuck out to me and I feel describes how overwhelmed we all were:

Lord I'm amazed, by You
Lord I'm amazed, by You
Lord I'm amazed, by You
How You Love me

As everyone worshiped, the Holy Spirit rained down like I have never felt anywhere before. As we sang the Halleluiah chours, and I gazed out on all of the hands raised as high as they could go; as I saw the desire and longing in the faces of people who were crying out to God; as I heard all of the voices in the room singing the internationally understood word, Halleluiah; tears just welled up in my eyes as I finally begun to understand what was happening. God wasn't simply loving us. He wasn't merely showing love for other people. God, in his sovreign, divine nature, was revealing His true self. God IS the embodyment of love. And when we experience the love of Christ in a very real sense, when you can SEE God and FEEL His love and compassion coursing through every portion of your soul, you can't help but cry. The presence of God is far too overwhelming to keep your composure. The most amazing part was when the pastor made an alter call. One by one, all across the room, people raised their hands to accept Jesus. Literally thousands of people tonight gave their lives to the Lord! Amen!

And let me tell you, Cambodians know how to worship! For the entire set (I dont know how long but I'm guessing between 30 and 45 minutes) they would not stop jumping and dancing and clapping! God was coursing through thier veins as they vibrantly and passionately worshiped. I have never played for a more excited or less reserved people anywhere, ever.

Having the priviledge to lead worship for that many people is an honor and a blessing. Music is a universal truth that everyone understands. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity and I look forward to getting plugged in to the worship team back home at Celebration. Be encouracged! God is making a huge difference through us in this wonderful nation of Cambodia!

Much love,

Trevor

4 comments:

Diane Buckley said...

Hi Trevor.
WOW!!! I am so proud and happy for you having such a chance, such an experience of many. Leading worship for that many willing people had to be extremely overwhelming. Every day you are there you are experiencing so many things none of us do. And the icing on the cake for you getting to play during worship. Enjoy the rest of your time spreading the word and can't wait to see you. I love and miss you. Diane

Anonymous said...

Hey Trev,

We are all praying for you, Sam, and all the rest of the missions team. You are an inspiration to all of us. It's amazing to see how far God takes us if we are willing to take the first step. Enjoy the experience, stay safe, and God Bless you all.

Love Dad

Yolanda said...

Hello, my name is Yolanda and I am a late niter at Celebration. I have been reading people's blog about this trip and it is so awesome to hear what is happening, the inside scoop and everything. Thank you for taking the time to write!It is exciting for me to hear and I can also brag about what Jesus is doing.

Anonymous said...

Hello Trevor, I am so glad to hear you guys are having such a touching trip. You and Sam have made me feel like I am right there with you, and even if we are not in body we are in spirit and prayer. Enjoy the moment and continue to share your loving heart with those who need you. Take care and may God keep you safe.
Marelyn